Saturday, June 7, 2014

A Bit About Sand

A Bit About Sand:

For my first blog post ever, I thought I'd share a bit about my sand collecting passion with you. I have been collecting sand for 18 years now, and my collection has grown from one sample to 400 samples of sand from around the world. I use the sand for a science experiment in my classroom. My students make their own sand slides and look at them under a microscope. They are amazed to see the variety of color, shapes, and sizes. I just love hearing their excited voices as they say, "Hey, look what I've found!"

I store my sand in little containers like this, so the students can easily open them to make their slides.

One online friend helped me double my collection 
with some of the most 
beautiful samples of sand from around the world. 

Look at the variety of colors. 

I actually store my sand by continent in these buckets.

Here is one corner of my living room. 
It has become a mini-lab where I can view the sand
under a quality microscope.

The Boys from Brazil.
These sand samples are some of the most beautiful samples I've seen yet. 
My Next post will tell a bit more about the sands here.

1 comment:

  1. Bonjour, magnifique idée de partage de votre passion.
    Faites- vous des échanges?
    J'habite en France et je peux vous proposer des échantillons. Vous pouvez me contacter sur mon blog : lesabledenathalie.blogspot.fr
    A bientôt peut-être...

    ReplyDelete