Thursday, December 25, 2014

Eddie's Exciting Escapades [a.k.a. The Elf on the Shelf]

I just have to post some of the escapades that Eddie encountered in my classroom this year. Eddie passed out polished rocks which were given to them by a dear friend who has adopted my class. The first day, the students each got a bag with their name on it, and then on consecutive days, they found little rocks on their desks. Each day the information about the rocks-of-the-day was posted on the board so they could learn about each kind. If I forgot to have the information showing before they walked through the door, they instantly reminded me. I also had the information about where their particular rocks came from which went really nicely with "Christmas around the world."




You can see that Eddie just had to try out his surfing on our surfing board. I have a beach theme in the classroom, so I wanted to make sure that Eddie did something to go with the theme. One side of the room is the ocean and the other side is the shore. I use this set up instead of Partners A & B for partner sharing time.



Eddie was really into the holidays, so he provided a tree and decorations for the kids to decorate the tree. The big hit of the day was actually the skateboard that Eddie had for his own personal enjoyment. I purchased the skateboard at the dollar store. 




We studied about the planets this month, so we had to make snowflakes when we got to Pluto.
To make the snowflakes I use my own product

Crystal Snowflake Ornament


and
Pluto has an atmosphere when it is closest to the sun. As the planet moves away from the sun the atmosphere is expected to fall (like snow) and freeze into the ground.


Meanwhile... Back on Earth

My ELD students visit the polar regions of the Earth:


Although the book is quite easy for 5th graders, there is still so much language, social studies, and science that can be had from this book. Of course the artwork is just beautiful. I use this with my ELD class. I do have to confess that I found a color page of a train for the kids beacause they had just a tough time trying to pain the train that the original pictures did not turn out so goo. With the train their the students could focus on the tree in the background, the house, the bushes, and the shading and tinting that goes along with this artwork. I also use a game that I found in a book years ago about the north and south pole. Because of the copyright and can't share it until I have permission, but it makes a fantastic close reading game activity. The students read the article, and then play the game. As they get a card they have to locate the answer in the text, show their opponents, who all highlight it, and then the player can move the appropriate steps on the gameboard. The students end up reading the article several times while looking for the answers, but have fun doing it at the same time.



I found this little beauty on TpT. Click HERE for the Peppermint Challenge. Besides being a STEM activity, it is a great teambuilding project.


I have done this project for several years now. I use regular printer paper, water colors, paint brushes, and a video that tells the kids exactly what to do and can be purchased at Art with Joy



The last day of school my students came into find they were being challenged to read by Eddie. The students were given a cocoa cup with a page of paper marshmallows that challenged them to read under the tree, to a pet etc. I found the Winter Break Marshmallow Reading Challenge at TpT as a FREE item, so go and grab it for next year.











No comments:

Post a Comment