Sunday, January 18, 2015

Jupiter's Moons

Jupiter's moons are featured in "What's Up January/" See it HERE

To help your students learn more about these amazing moons, they are featured in my PowerPoint Lesson which can be found in my TpT Store

The 75 slide presentation can be used with students as low as third grade all the way up the education ladder to 12th grade.

I have embedded this short video clip of an erupting volcano. I hope it shows up "in action" as it does on the PowerPoint. This is one of Io's erupting volcanoes.

Europa is still a myster to me, with all of it cracks and beautiful markings. I am sure we will know more about this unique moon soon.

Ganymede is a cool moon just because it is the largest moon in the solar system. I love the fact that an Oygen atmosphere has been discovered on the moon.

Jupiter has many more moons that are just as magnificient as the four largest. The Galelio mission really only focused on the largest four, but we do have some information on some of the others. 
Almathea is next in line as far as size goes. 

We do not have very good pictures of the first four, but NASA's next visit is sure to get better pictures.

With 67 known moons, scientists have been able to determine the orbits and have drawn pictures to represent those strange orbits. 

Besides Jupiter's moons, my PowerPoint lesson takes a look at the ring system of Jupiter. 
11 slides are dedicated to helping students understand the rings of Jupiter.

We can't forget the Great Red Spot.
5 slides are devoted to the great red spot. Did you know that the Great Red Spot is smaller at the moment than it has ever been since we have been studying it?



Writing is such an important component to learning that I have made it a priority and include some kind of writing assignment in most lessons. I have students take notes while they are listening to a lesson, reading, watching a video, and surfing the Internet.
After the notes are taken, students number the note in the order that they want to use them.
Here are my instructions for 3rd & 4th graders. Often times I will even start the year with these directions for my 5th graders, but then I move to this slide.







No comments:

Post a Comment