Wednesday, January 28, 2015

New Horizon's First Picture of Pluto














I have to say that I have been waiting a very long time to see what Pluto looks like and the time for real pictures of Pluto is upon us.

I actually began waiting when I was 6 years old, and I read, or at least looked at the pictures of planet books. In fact, I remember when Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto were all on the same page.

I followed the Voyager mission to Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and finally Neptune. It took a life-time (mine) to watch it happen. 

As a teacher I announced the lift-off of the New Horizons Space Craft and have updated every class who walked through my classroom doors. Now, finally we are going to get a look at Pluto. 


Right now, it is just a dot ~ but here it is:


My students wanted to know what Lorri is ~ so I let them know it is the official name of the camera = Long Range Imager is my shortened description and here is a model of the spacecraft's instruments.
My students, like most children, are quite disappointed that Pluto has been demoted, but they really love the fact that this tiny world has 5 known moons.

On Monday, they will be reading an article written by the Smithonian telling about the possibility of more tiny moons orbitting Pluto. Here is a FREE site that you simply must check out for your class.

No comments:

Post a Comment