Monday, January 5, 2015

Time for the Colonies: WOW



I joined a project called TAH ~ Teaching American History when I joined the 5th grade team at my school. Now the project was not at school, but through our county office. I joined it because I knew almost nothing about teaching American History and wanted to do a better job and just going through the text. It was an amazing project, and I really enjoyed unit. In the next few posts I will be sharing some of the things I learned and have discovered since, that really helps bring the history alive.


WOW ~ Word of the Week

One idea I found was the WOW lessons. Students work with a "word of the week." I created a PowerPoint to go with the lessons, that help the students learn how to create a work of art while working on language and social studies vocabularies.




Students actually begin with the back side of the paper and fill it in, and then begin their picture on the front.



Here is the back side of the paper which includes a rubric for grading. Before the students ever do a picture, I have them practice going over some well-done pictures and help me grade them.

 Here are some examples:

Students use their white boards to respond to the questions that come up in the PowerPoint.





Here is an example of  a science WoW

The Wow pictures can be saved and made into a booklet for Open House. They make a really nice keepsake for the school year. Many of the pages can also be used as a jumping off point for digging deeper and doing research.

I have my WoW PowerPoint on sale at my TpT store, and for the next 48 hours you can get it at half price.





No comments:

Post a Comment