Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Digging Deep ... to Discover New Favorites

This month the Teaching Trio is featuring favorite picture books. As a 5th grade teacher I still love to use picture books and I always have a long wish list of picture books I would like to purchase, so I had to jump in and share mine.


I went to my first sand conference about a year ago. This little book has been on my list until very recently. I will soon be sharing it with my class. It is a quick easy read that provides a very easy-to-understand definition of sand.

Because I collect sand, my students get to make their own science slides and investigate the sand under a microscope. They are always amazed at how different the sand samples look. 

Many teachers do a "Christmas Around the World", which I am really into because it gives me a way to feature sand from other countries in a quick way while tying it to the Common Core standards of English Language Arts, Social Studies, and Science. Book number two is An Island Christmas.


My next favorite book is still on my list, but it is at the top. I discovered Africa Is NOT A Country on Becky Morales's blog, Kid World Citizen and loved her idea of what to do with the book. I will be getting it soon, because it is time to use it. I just love the spring, because I really get to play with my sand. The kids love it because they start looking beyond themselves and start thinking about the world. It is very rewarding to see how they start thinking globally.

I really wanted to add more books, but I think three books should be enough for now. What are your new favorites? I'd love to hear from you.






No comments:

Post a Comment