Sunday, June 21, 2015

Pluto's First Color Movie


Have you been waiting to see Pluto? Do you remember when you first read about the planets? Although I don't remember what grade I was in, I remember reading a book that had a page on each planet until you got to Uranus. Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto were all group on one page. Uranus and Neptune had a picture of a blue dot, and Pluto didn't even get a drawing. Since that day I have always wanted to see Pluto. I didn't think it should be left out.

As spacecrafts visited Jupiter, and then Saturn,  I devoured books and pictures on the two worlds. I tuned into television and magazines for Urnaus, and even drove down to the Neptune celebrations in Pasadena when Voyager II flew by Triton.

NASA has several websites that can be visited for each of the current missions. Since January 2006, I have been tuned into the New Horizons website to get the latest and greatest information on Pluto. Now we get first looks as Pluto and Charon orbit each other.



Notice the X near Pluto. This video clip shows the barycenter of Pluto and Charon. The X marks the spot of the shared center of gravity between the two little worlds. Since Pluto is more massive than Charon, the center of gravity is very close to Pluto as they revole around that spot.

Also notice the coloring. Pluto is orange-beige and Charon is gray. Scientists hope to find out why they are so different.

The New Horizons spacecraft will flyby the Pluto next month on July 14th. I just cannot wait!

For more information, visit the New Horizons website

If you want a PowerPoint for your classroom, see my TpT store or click on any of the pictures below.
Pluto: Note-taking & Research
for my Pluto PowerPoint which is updated everytime I get new information.
If you are really into "Space" and the planets, then you might also like:
The Kuiper Belt Research Project

Crater Experiment ~ STEM

Uranus: Note-taking & Research Power Point

And a few freebies:

PowerPoint for the Sun ~ Note-taking and Research

Free Space Background

FREE ~ Near Earth Asteroids PowerPoint

Mercury: Note-taking & Research Project

Sun ~ Notetaking & Research

No comments:

Post a Comment