This tiny mysterious system is finally beginning to come into focus.This picture is taken from only 3.7 billion miles. I can't believe I said "only" in the same sentence as billion miles.
What do we know about the Pluto system so far? I have decided to create a quick chart to list what we know so far about Pluto and Charon, and then compare it to a new chart in a couple of weeks when we hope to know so much more. My biggest question at the moment is, "Do we call it a dwarf planet with 5 moons, or a double planet with four moons? That is a question for the New Horizon's team as well as the Astronomical Union.
What information am I looking for when New Horizons flys by Pluto?
- Actual Pictures of Pluto, Charon, and the other moons.
- Pictures of the atmoshere.
- Are there mountains, valleys, fractures and other unusual features on these worlds?
- Are their eruptions? Craters?
- More moons?
- Do we call this system a double planet system, or the Pluto system with x amount of moons?
Stay tuned, and remember to check out the New Horizon's Webpage for the latest information and daily updates. Click on the picture for Countdown Updates.