Thursday, August 6, 2015

Like FREE Technology? Let's Go On A Pluto Safari!

Don't you just love to discover free technology? I do! Add that to anything to do with space, and you can count me in. Last evening I was working on updating my Pluto PowerPoint (it's been a whole week since I last updated it, and knew I had to add a few more of the newests images because school is about to start and I want to have most of the images that NASA has posted for us.) I thought it would be a quick update, but I spent the entire day on it today, and had a fantastic time in the process.
Okay- back to this cool technology, Simulation Curriculum has developed a free app that can be used by your students. It is an exceptional resource with all of the latest pictures of Pluto. It is written in kid friendly language and is meaty enough (is meaty a word?) for student research. Just click on the picture to go to the app.

I have also posted this on my webpage for easy student access
Just click on the picture

I have just spent the entire day updating my Pluto System PowerPoint. I am thrilled with how it turned out. 
So far I have added 26 new slides. I must give credit where it is due.
I get all of my information from The New Horizons Website, so if you have not been there lately, you might want to check it out, or just download my PowerPoint from TeachersPayTeachers.

I am especially proud of this model. It isn't finished yet, because we don't have the best images of each moon, but it is a start. I really made it, because I couldn't remember which moon fit where, and all the models out there were too small to really see, so I wanted one that would be easy on the eyes. The yellow dots for Styx and Kerberos are that way, because I don't have any pictures of them .....yet.
I found a video clip showing the simulation of Nix's rotation. It is pretty interesting, and would make a great little partner discussion.
Here are some of the names of things on Pluto, and the meanings. 


Tomorrow I'll share a cool foldable for the Pluto System which my students can use after they research  Pluto, Charon and the four moons.







No comments:

Post a Comment