Saturday, August 8, 2015

Mysterious Magic Motivates Students

Last year I began my first science lesson with a huge (I really mean HUGE) amount of interest and excitement!
My goal was to create an interest in science, while creating enthusiam and a love of learning.
I use a seemingly simple styrofoam cup (it has magic powder in it, but the kids don't know that).
I tip the cup at a 45 degree angle and quickly walk around so they can see the "empty" cup.
I then call up two students. Student #1 gets to hold the cup over his head while Student #2 puts a teaspoon of water in the cup everytime I tell him too. 

I discuss learning, teamwork and the 6 Cs. What are the 6 Cs you might be wondering? Here they are: 
Communication
Collaboration
Critical Thinking
Creativity
Caring
Courage

You end by having student #2 taking the cup and turning it upside down on student #1's head.

To find out more, you will need to download my PowerPoint.

You will need to order the magic powder right away. the nice thing is what you get with it. Also, a little goes a long way. I purchased a pound of it over 10 years ago, and it has lasted for many years. Each year up to 5 classes do the experiment with their class ~ a little goes a long way. for $14.95 you will get many years of excitement and it will be an experiment that students will always remember. You also get a video clip and explanation to the science behind the magic which is something they did not offer when I purchased my magic powder.

1 comment:

  1. I just had to provide a "follow-up" comment. I used the powerpoint so I didn't have to remember everything, and it worked like-a-charm! The students were so excited to return to school the next day to discover how the science works. Each year the students react differently to do the experiment on their own while I just watch in amazement.

    ReplyDelete