Sunday, November 1, 2015

Veteran's Day Favorite Freebies

I think Veteran's Day is very important and I want my students to really understand why they are getting an extra day off. I have a couple of books I read to them, but I want them doing a close read, or some kind of project to promote understanding. Those kids with family members in the services can comprehend some of the sacrifices their family is making, but I want all of my students to realize the importance of this day. Other than a couple of books and worksheets, I didn't have any quality materials, and I was on a super strick budget last year because we had two house payments and had been making them for over a year. To compound my situation, I was in school working on my thesis for my masters in administration, my husband had just had major surgery. It was also our first full year with common core and the district was pushing us to make up on lost time because they had not let us get started on the process earlier. So, I had no money and no time. I did a quick search for Veteran Day Freebies and was blessed with some wonderful materials by the teachers at "Teachers Pay Teachers." Since then, my husband is better, we sold the big house, and I am back to working on the thesis and will finish this next May.


This is a K-3 product by Little Range on the School. If you click on the picture you will go right to the freebie, and if you click on "Little Range's Name, then you will go to the TpT store.

I have to say that this list is not in any particular order, so keep checking to the end, because some of my favs are there.

This American Heroes product ranges from Pre-K through fourth grade. It was created by Mel D-Suesstastic who happens to create amazing products. To check out her store, click on her name, and to get the free product, click on the picture.

This is a 2nd-4th grade product by Michelle Harper (Same as the drill above for the product and TpT store.)



Arlington is a 4th-9th grade product created by Lovin' Lit. In this unit, students analyze the song lyrics of "Arlington" by Trace Atkins, and then watch a documentary about Arlington National Cemetery. It is a very cool unit. I downloaded it a month ago, and cannot wait to use it. I have purchased several of her products and they are all top quality.

I want to remind you all to leave feedback on any site you take a freebie from. These teachers have put in a lot of hard work even for the freebie, and they will appreciate it.

I would also like you to know that I'm not just a freebie grabber. I buy products every month. If I like a freebie, I go back and see what else that teacher has made. I think the freebies make fantastic advertising and it definitely works with me because I have purchased literally hundreds of items from TpT. In fact, I purchase more than I sell. I guess I would call myself a TpT junkie. The only thing I haven't done is gone to one of the annual conferences (I'm working on it though, and hope to go this summer!)

 
The Math Spot created this Informational Text for 2nd-4th grade.

Fern Smith shares many types of color pages, but this one is special. There are 21 pages to choose from for K-6 students.

Give students 9 choices with this choice board, which has been created by Ashliegh.

Created by the Clutter-Free Classroom, this writing project is differentiated for K-5 students. 

This foldable Hero Flip Tab Book makes a special thank-you to a veteran your students may know. It was designed for grades K-5 by Crayon Box Learning. My students loved this one last year.

Vocabulary and Dictionary skills with a venn diagram for 2nd-4th grade

Here are 25 fantastic borders by Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah-Designs

Okay, I just showed the 11th product. I had planned to feature 11 products, since Armistice Day began at 11:00 on the 11th day of the 11th month, but I got carried away, and had to keep going. Also I was on the lookout for one of my favorite ones which is the last one, so keep checking these out.

These Differentiated Reading Passages are designed for 2-6th grade by Bow Tie Guy and Wife.

For Grades 2-8 by Miller's Flip Flops.

Write a "thank" to a Veteran, by Erin Waters.

This Readers Theater is for 1st-3rd grade, by Teach 123-Michelle.

A variety of 5 paper designs by Denise Hill.

A Picture Tribute for all grades by the Chalk Dust Diva.

This cool border is compliments of Blast off Into Second.

This powerpoint is for a classroom ceremony. It has three video clip links and will take about 40 minutes ~ by Lynn Foster.

Beautiful stationary by Teacher Mommy.

This is a Poem in a booklet format for K-6 students by A Teacher's Idea who happens to be from Trinidad and Tobago. (Talk about "Around the World" ~ this kind of collaboration is what makes TpT so very cool!)

I had to include the poppy clipart! I is a "must" in my book.
Thank-you RamonaM Graphics.

Here are some beautiful posters by the Not So Wimpy Teacher.

This adorable K-3 lesson is with addition facts by Brenda Frady Primary Inspired.

This V-Day freebie is part of a Kindergarten Kristy's 25 page Veteran's Day Project designed for Kindergarten and first grade. The full packet is just under $2, so take a look.

Remember to leave feedback, and feel free to look around each store, because there is probably something else you will not be able to live without.

Here is a quality Choice Board for 4th-7th grade compliments of North Carolina's Teched Out Teacher.

What a fun center for 1st-3rd graders to work on alphabetical order by SloanDidIt.

I used this last year, and I have to say that my students loved reviewing what they just learned with these little cootie catchers using the strategy "Hand-up, Stand-Up, Pair Up" Thank you, Tools for Teachers, by Laurah J

I have to end with one of my favorite lessons, The Poppy Lady
I used this Mini-Unit with my students last year, and they really connected with the poem, "Flanders Field." It turned out to be a very special memory for many of my former 5th grade students. This lesson is geared for 2nd-5th grade by In That Room.

Please remember to leave feedback if you download any of these freebies.


























No comments:

Post a Comment