Friday, December 18, 2015

A Christmas STEM project ~ Healthy Gingerbread Houses

It is a lot of work to do gingerbread houses, but I just love creating them! One of these years I am going to try building the houses the day before the decorating. I think they will hold up better.

Each year that I have students make gingerbread houses, I never know what I will get. Some kids "get into it" and some don't. This year I had several students jump on the creativity bandwagon and work to design their houses. This was inspirational to others. I left my phone at home, so I had to borrow a friend's phone to take the pictures.
Usually we find dried grapes at the dollar store, but they were plum out of them this year, so a student brought frozen peas. They were actually a hit!

Next year I'll make sure to have more kiwi, so kids can cut it and use it to decorate.
The little plastic knives worked great for cutting dried fruit as well as the graham crackers.

A couple of kids built garages.


Before showing more pictures I must admit something. I have to say that it is not all fun and games. The students were learning RI 5.5 ~ Comparing and Contrasting information from two or more texts. After studying about the history of gingerbread, I wrote an article (which I have to admit that I have not published yet-- but will), and two other great articles that happen to be free.
This Close reading passage by The Sweet Thing, is really a great reading project.


Here is another great reading article.


I don't know how the chocolate Frosty found its way into the classroom, nor the candy cane which was supposed to be a science experiment.

See the gramham cracker on the roof? that is actually a large screen TV, and the cookie is a special couch for viewing movies on top of the garage.

Peanut butter was our glue. The healthy ingredients included dried pineapple (the path) frozen peas because the student couldn't find the dried ones, banana chips, dried cranberries, dried kiwi and sliced almonds. I also purchased a couple of bags of dried apples, and coconut, but the tables that got those ended up eating most of them. Apparently, they were really tasty. I didn't have as many ingredients this year, but it worked out fine.

If you are interested in building your own healthy houses, you might want to check out 
There is a great list of healthy items. I try to get a balance of driend fruits and veggies, but there are so many more dried fruits out there than dried veggies. There is also a "My Plate" in the presentation to refer to. 


Last year I used pistachios, cereal, coconut as well as all the stuff I used this year. One year I used dried beats and corn. 

I didn't get to make this with the kiddos, but maybe I will next year.

Here is a Freebie I haven't tried yet, but plan to:
If you click on the picture, you will jump right to the Freebie.

No comments:

Post a Comment