Thursday, November 24, 2016

Best Teacher Secrets Revealed

I can reveal the secrets of being the "best teacher" in one word!
Students love "hands on science". The more you do it, the more they love coming to school. It is loud and messy, but they stay focused, work together, and learn more. I see it as as Win-Win!

There are tons of freebies out there, and I have been collecting for Christmas! Instead of doing the old fashioned Halloween party. My whole grade level did a STEM project. I didn't have time to blog about it before, so I'm going to do that today. Tomorrow, I blog about our Thanksgiving Party.  I have to warn you that we did not call either one a party. We called them both STEM Lessons! Our students no longer groan when they hear the term science, or STEM. Instead, they perk up because they now know they are in for a treat. They are going to work hard and learn a lot. It's "their kind of learning."

One and a half tubs of round puff balls and two boxes of toothpicks were purchased for each class in our grade level. We handed each group the directions and told them to get started. (You can find the product in my store if you don't have time to create your own).


Students gathered their materials and got started.


They began with their base. Measured it, and then began building up.



The tallest one was over 100 cm. We hope to do it again in the spring when they understand the 
3d math a bit better. We would also like to compete for the tallest tower between the classes rather than just in our own class. Sound fun?




No comments:

Post a Comment