Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Penguin Research Provides Real Rewards

I am so excited to introduce my Penguin Research Foldables Project. I started it last year and have continued to work on it. This year I have added lines to the foldables so students can produce neater writing. I have also included a "links" page for each penguin that can be pushed into Google Classroom to help students with the research and note-taking. I have mini-lessons to help students with the actual research and note-taking part of the writing. My goal is to have students feel comfortable looking up information, reading about it, and then putting information into their own words.


The more comfortable students fill with putting information into their own words, the better writers they become. Studying about these cute little birds give my students to opportunity to practice reading, comprehending, writing, and listing resources that will carry into other subjects.

There are two free penguin products for you to try out. Just click on the pictures to get your freebies today. Since I just live finding freebies and I had to make sure to include a couple in this product.
Last year, when I gave students the choice in which penguins I wanted them to study, both the Snares-Crested & Yellow-Eyed penguins were ignored, so this year I plan on beginning with them for my mini-lessons. I have also made both of them FREE, so click on the title or the picture to get yours today.


I absolutely had to add a STEM activity to do with my penguins.
Students love a "hands-on" approach, and I have to admit that there are no penguins in the area for the students to actually see. Having them look up information and then create adorable foldables is the first step for me. I have to add that this is part of my "Around the World" series, as students will store these little foldables in their suitcases until "Open House" in May. They will also get passport stamps for each area where they penguins they study live. I will be working on that next and then post to let you know when they are ready.

I still have a few days before school begins, so I have my work cut out for me. What is your favorite penguin?

No comments:

Post a Comment