Friday, April 14, 2017

Three Easy Weaving Easter Baskets


Teaching basket weaving to students can be challenging. When I first began weaving baskets in my 5th grade classroom, I did not think it was very easy.  But now I do, and I love to share great information like this. 




 I have been basket weaving for a few years now, and this year I tried something new. I showed a You Tube. Wow! Pictures were so much easier for my students than words, so I'll continue to do it this way. 


The most rewarding part, was that my students who struggle academically, were the ones that really shined in this activity. They were the ones going around helping the others.


I don't use staples to connect mine. I use brads, but either works. I also cut my paper in 1 inch by 12 inch strips.

This is how I organize my strips:

Each student will need two colors of strips.
  • Each student needs 8 strips of a color.
  • I cut my strips by color. I do four strips at a time. They I go back and hole-punch the ends. I put two sets of 4 together and attach a brad to the end. I take the outer two strips and gently fold in half (without making a crease) and do the third hole punch. 
I do this with 6 - 8 colors of 12x18 construction paper. I cut all my sheets into 1x12 strips. I just pull four sheets of each color and that gives me a class set with just a little left over. Our colors are orange and black, so I always do those. I like the bright colors, so I pull whatever colors I am in the mood for or whatever I happen to have. You cannot make an ugly basket - no matter what colors you choose.



Here is another video to make it very easy. I may do this one next year. So far, I have always done number one.



Again, to save time, you can precut the strips; however, students need to measure things, so if you have the time, having them measure and cut their own is an excellent math lesson (in any grade).






As I mentioned in another post, I like to include STEM activities for the kids to do during their week off. Here is that post, incase you missed it.

As you can see, all three baskets are similar, yet different. Which one do you like best? Do you have a different method that you would like to share? I'm always open to new ideas, so I hope to hear from you. Just leave a message below. 

Have a great Easter,
Kelly


No comments:

Post a Comment