Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Announcing Innovative Book-Study Reboot: To Lock In Writing Strategies for Student Writers


I have been fortunate to be a part of an amazing book study hosted by Kelly Malloy and a group of fabulous teachers.  I learned so much about helping my students become better writers by reading The Writing Strategies Book: Your Everything Guide to Developing Skilled Writers  by Jennifer Serravallo. Writing is such a complex subject that I need to revisit this book.

This book study just finished, but now that it is summer, I need to jump in to reread it ~ reboot ~ and reflect on the 10 big goals of writing.  As I read this time, I hope to blog about each section to help me reflect on what I am learning.  I want to improve my writing, so I can do a better job of helping my students in the fall.

Each time I write about a goal, I'll link to the other teachers so you can gather even more information.  Each teacher mentions just a few of the over 300 writing strategies.  The really cool thing about this book is that it is an easy read, and practical resource for teachers.

You can find my posts for previous sections below:


Composing With Pictures

This is a great strategy for emergent readers.  Children who freeze up at the thought of writing can use these strategies to communicate their thinking without worrying about the words.

Jennifer Serravallo states, "children are planning their writing, drafting, and revising- but the work is in pictures.  It is the teachers job to teaching our students how to add the details and make their drawings 'readable' to others."


Talk As You Draw

Although it makes the classroom a little noisier, having students quietly talk as they draw will engage them.  This gives the student immediate feedback as he/she hears himself/herself.  To be honest, I usually reread things I am writing to myself.  Hearing my writing helps me catch mistakes clarify what I meant to say.


Reread Your Pictures So It Sounds Like a Storybook

This is a great idea for older students as well as younger.  I often draw charts before I start on a project.  The next step is thinking about how I want to use it and talking to myself.  That being said, it is not surprising that this would be an easy strategy to use in a variety of ways.

Touch, Then Draw

aka Touch, Think, Draw

I just had to rename this one, because it helps me remember this brilliant strategy.  You see, I'm not an artist, so I need to see the simple shapes in things so I can draw them.  I'm sure kids are the same way, so this is going to be a strategy I use with my students even though they are older.  Here are the prompts:
  • As you touch, what shape do you feel?
  • Think about the simple shape.
  • Draw the simple shape.
Remember to Link back to the original book study for more insight.



No comments:

Post a Comment