Thursday, June 29, 2017

Who Can Resist Flexible Seating?

As soon as I heard about it, I had to have it. The Problem?  No budget.  No Time.  Now it has been a year, I have finished my masters degree, so I can start to concentrate on this issue.


Here is what I have found:

  • To begin, I didn't have to look far, because Esther Valencia, the Teacher Next Door, had worked on flexible seating as a summer project.  She saw the adorable milk crate idea,


          and she came up with her own idea, which is actually quite brilliant!

           Using this  idea, Esther, a third grade teacher, created a hidden storage area for supplies.  Here are two or her stools after being used for a hear on a daily basis. 
  • The Teachers Love List has an amazing article on it.  She give the pros and cons to a variety of Alternate Seating options.  She also includes a list and where to get them.  Notice this picture.  This is a few of the styles she has located for us.
  • A Trendy Teacher showed how she added flexible seating to her class. 
  • Jill Cataldo found an amazing deal on these little beauties. 
  • Want to know the truth about flexible seating from a Kindergarten perspective?  Check out Kinder Humor
  • The Elementary Darling blogs about her insights with flexible seating. 
  • Middle School Mob has an amazing blog post on how she uses flexible seating with older students.  She also includes some practical tips on training the students and a set of rules.  I also love her VIP table.  It is a "must have" in my classroom set up! 

  • Here is an Article by Kelly Almer: 3 Reasons to Use Flexible Seating in the Classroom.  Along with her 3 reasons, she has set up this very cool VIP seating.  I love the idea and I definitely want to use it.
  • Here is a video clip. This is year 5 of Flexible seating, so it is reassuring to know that this transformation did not happen overnight.
 
So to answer my question, I cannot resist flexible seating and I can't wait to get started on it!  What have you found? I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment