Sunday, June 25, 2017

Who Wants to Dig Deep For Summer Treasure?


Summer treasure can come in many forms.  For me, it is learning new things.  This morning, I spent time learning about Wild Cats, and setting up a web-page to assist students when they research these amazing animals.




Here is a little background for my readers. I work in a small district with one school for each age level. The high school mascot has always been the Tiger, while the primary school kids (K-2) were the Tiger Cubs. About fifteen years ago, the middle school kids became the Bengal Tigers. A few years later the elementary school (grades 3-5) converted to the wild cats. So what does this actually mean? It means that our kids wear black and orange for 12 years. 

This last school year our 5th graders had the privilege to visit Cat Haven, a nature park dedicated to preserving wild cats. This field trip fits in nicely with our mascots, and we used the visit to practice our research skills. I began working on the "Wild Cats" web-page before the trip, again after the trip, and after yesterday's work, I can finally say that it looks ready for next year.

video


While researching, I found some real nuggets of treasure that are worth sharing.

First, I was fascinated by the variety of wild cats and the different sounds they make. Watch/listen to this.
My students are going to love watching this.


Next, I found a new site that is sure to interest young researchers. Pictures of Cats  or PoC
I really like the close up pictures with the globe showing where the cat is from. This particular picture features the fish cat catching fish. This fishing cat reminds me of my house cat, George, who weighs 11 pounds. The fish cat usually weighs between 10-30 pounds, so I can easily picture this fishing cat.

The Marbled Cat is the size of a small cat, and super rare.




The next website is called Big Cat Rescue.  The unique thing about this site is that students can read along with the research. It is a very kid friendly site.

Additionally, this site also provides intresting videos that provide some great information. Here is one on the cougar.




Students Can Create eBooks 

I just created an eBook as a demonstration lesson using Flip Html5 Here is  quick video about it



Here is my eBook on The Flat-Headed Cat




It is part of my Animal Research Unit
which can be purchased in my TeachersPayTeachers store, Digging Deep to Soar Beyond the Text.

I love working on projects and finding out what other teachers are digging into during their holiday. Feel free to let me know by responding in the comments below. In the meantime, I hope you are having a great summer.




No comments:

Post a Comment