Sunday, July 30, 2017

Take-aways from TpT Conference

I just experienced my first Teachers Pay Teachers conference.  This year it was held in Anaheim, CA (next year it's Nashville-- and yes! I'm going).  It was an amazing adventure.  My goal in writing this post is to give you a newbie's perspective on the conference so you can decide it you would like to attend the conference in Nashville next summer.

When you first arrived, they had people ready to greet and wlecome you.  Many teachers, like myself, went to the conference by myself.  Without colleagues.  Even though we were "on our own" we were not alone, because no matter where you turned there was someone to talk to.  This welcoming and friendly atmosphere continued throughout the three-day conference. 
There was an Introduction networking session, even before the Opening Session which provided the opportunity to connect with other Teacher Sellers in your region of the US.  Don't worry, there was meeting spot for Canadians, Europeans, and Australians that mixed in with US residents.
Using the fun little mixture game, we all walked around and introduced ourselves.  It was a uniquie networking opportunity which inspired me as a teacher.  I met hundreds of passionately dedicated educators who love to create and work throughout their summer to provide a quality school experience for their students.  These teachers are building a business because they believe in American education and what we do as teachers each year in the classroom.

During the opening session we learned about Teachers Pay Teachers from the company perspective.
It was announed that TpT has 2.7 million resources and that there are 4 million active users downloading products from TpT.

I have 3 take-aways from this conference that I want to incorporate into my classroom and my store.

1. Posting Tips

  • Use a square picture
  • Eye catching picture
  • Descriptive Title
  • Snippet:  First 3 lines of the description (the snippet) should not be redundant with the title. Use these three lines to clearly describe your product.  Use key words.
  • Use social media to promote your products - Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram 
  • (videos are best)



2. QR Codes

I have been interested in using QR codes because I know they have a lot of value.  One of the sessions I attended was all about QR codes and how to use them in the classroom
The coolest thing about this session (besides the fantastic information) was that we were given a teacher center to learn how to use QR codes.

I'll be using this center later today to learn how to use QR codes in my classroom, and then I'll create my first QR lesson.


3. Video

Video is the new "Hot Option"  

Videos on Facebook get a higher rating and view rate than a picture.  So we need to create videos.  The two ways that I'm going to begin with are PowerPoint and PicMonkey.

 I lost my notes on PowerPoint, but luckily, I a very familiar with it, so I can still create from it.
 PicMonkey is new to me, but it seems to work very similar to PowerPoint.  It is a program that you have to purchase, and because I attended the conference I will get two months free to give it a try.

So who is ready to join me next year?  If you were at the conference, I would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you were there- I wish I would have known because I would have loved to meet you! Next year for sure!

    ReplyDelete